Sunday, 31 January 2016

The Misadventures of a Playground Mother - Christie Barlow

The Misadventures of a Playground Mother

About the book...
New term. New dramas. New friendships. And that’s just the parents…

After a year of country living, Rachel Young is finally getting into the swing of things. Her four kids are happy and content at the village school, and she’s managed to navigate the choppy (shark-infested) waters of the playground mafia. 

Or… so she thought. 

When playground mum Penelope Kensington moves herself and her kids into Rachel’s home, after discovering husband Rupert has been having an affair, Rachel knows she must ask them politely to leave. The problem is, Penelope never takes no for an answer. 

As Rachel tries to deal with Penelope, she also meets new school mum Melanie. Melanie is a breath of fresh air, but her arrival sends ripples of gossip through the playground. Melanie has a few secrets in her closet, and it seems she’s not the only one… 

Hilarious and entertaining, with characters you won't forget in a hurry, fans of Fiona Gibson, Kerry Fisher and Tracy Bloom will love this book. 


Read what everyone is saying about Christie’s bestselling novel A Year in the Life of a Playground Mother:

'A hilarious observation of playground politics. As funny as it is true…' Sue Watson 

‘Well-observed, highly-relatable and wickedly-funny.’ Cathy Bramley 

‘A hilarious account, cleverly witty all the way through, a very entertaining read.’ Kim the Book Worm 

‘Full of laughs and hilarious one-liners.’ JB Johnston Book Tours 

‘A hilarious entertaining read.’ Chicklit Chickadees Book Tour 

‘What a tonic, this book should be available on prescription! Witty and incisive.' Matt Franks - comedian 

‘The writing flowed beautifully and guided me from one situation to another seamlessly.’ Angela Marsons


About the author...
Christie Barlow the author of A Year in the Life of a Playground Mother decided to teach her children a valuable life lesson and show them that they are capable of achieving their dreams. She is just a Mum who wrote a book to prove to her children whatever you want to do in life go for it. The book she wrote to prove a point is now an Amazon #1 bestseller in the UK and USA. 

Connect with Christie Barlow:-






My thoughts...
Having read Christie's first novel A Year in the Life of a Playground Mother I was keen to read the follow on - The Misadventures of Playground Mother.  I pre-ordered on Amazon for publication day and then life got in the way, one thing after another stopped me picking it up to read until now.
This is a follow on book but could equally be read as a stand - alone.  I had high expectations and I wasn't let down in fact I loved this book more.  I didn't think it was possible for an author to keep me laughing out loud as much as she did in her previous novel, that was just hilarious - in fact I told her I nearly died laughing, it was pure comedy gold. This time Christie raised the bar, it wasn't just a humorous look at playground antics and life in a small community.  This time there was hilarity alongside real life, a cast of people displaying a full spectrum of emotions that couldn't fail to touch the heart.

This novel sees Rachel finding an ally in new neighbour Melanie, someone to counter balance the high maintenance of Penelope, Rupert and their brood of children.  As ever Rachel and her good nature / doormat nature finds herself caught up in the pantomime that is Penelope and Rupert's marriage.  I think I would be in prison now for killing her, from here on in I shall refer to Rachel as Saint Rachel - that woman hasn't a bad bone in her body.  

Christie Barlow's ability to create characters that seem real, like people you'd come across in real life like is amazing.  She had me laughing, then silently raging only to find myself close to tears as the story unfolded and back to howling out loud again.  I truly never thought I'd ever get past the OMG moments with this friendship circle but was pleasantly surprised to find a touch of harsh reality within the pages that shook my first impressions of all the characters and made me see beneath the facades.


A fab book that left me thankful that despite the fact that I have many friends who are quite bonkers they all seem quite normal in comparison - although I do feel quite sad to be leaving these characters behind.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall, sitting in the village pub listening and watching the antics for real.  A highly recommended fun read.