Thursday, 22 October 2015

The Dead Dog day - Jackie Kabler

About the book...
Thrilling crime debut from top TV broadcaster Jackie Kabler
The Dead Dog Day is the debut novel from successful broadcaster and former GMTV reporter Jackie Kabler.  It follows the story of breakfast TV journalist Cora Baxter, and a race against time to stop a killer from striking again.

When your Monday morning begins with a dead dog at 4 a.m. and a dead boss by ten, you know it’s going to be one of those days. And breakfast TV reporter Cora Baxter has already had the weekend from hell, after the man she was planning a fabulous future with unceremoniously dumped her. 

Now Cora’s much-hated boss has been murdered, and Cora is assigned to cover the story for the breakfast show – but as the murder enquiry continues, the trail of suspects leads frighteningly close to home. Why is Cora’s arch-rival, glamorous, bitchy newsreader Alice Lomas, so devastated by their boss’s death? What dark secret is one of her camera crew hiding? And why has her now-ex-boyfriend vanished? The race to stop the killer striking again is on...

Jackie’s novel is the first book in a new series, and she draws on her experiences of the glamourous world of television, as well as her long-standing love for crime fiction.  A popular broadcaster turned author, Jackie is now a presenter on QVC, and as well as a decade on GMTV, has also worked for BBC News, ITV News and Setanta Sports News.

“Jackie has real insider knowledge and it shows. A proper page-turning thriller. I couldn't put it down.” Lorraine Kelly

You can buy the book via Amazon UK by clicking here. 

About the author...
“A twenty-year career in news during which I covered hundreds of major crime stories has given me a wealth of material to draw on for my novels. Aside from the actual murders, everything else that happens in this book actually happened to me as a breakfast TV reporter - with minor details changed to protect identities, of course...", says Jackie Kabler.







My thoughts...
I was given a copy of this book by Jackie Kabler the author in exchange for n honest review which I'm more than happy to do.

The premise of this book really grabbed me.  My favourite genre's are crime/thrillers and contemporary women's fiction.  Add to that my passion for people watching and you've got the perfect mix.  Jackie has written a tongue in cheek crime/mystery and wall papered the plot with insider gossip from her life as a tv presenter.

I settled down with a glass of wine and opened The Dead Dog Day, prepared for an evening of self indulgence.  To say the story got off to a flying start is an understatement.  I know the clue is in the title but I wasn't expecting two deaths within the first few pages.  Firstly a dog, dead before his competition appearance on the breakfast show and then the heartless, cow of a boss, Jeanette head of the newsroom.  To say there wasn't much love lost between herself and her staff in the newsroom would be an understatement.  So although everyone was shocked at her sudden demise, nobody was actually weeping in the corner - all except Alice Lomas the newsreader that manages to get all the good jobs.

The Dead Dog Day is without doubt the most humorous murder mystery I have ever read - Cora the TV News Reporter is put in charge of covering Jeanette's murder and lives a glass half empty life.  Unlucky in both love and work. Dumped by text - her boyfriend packed up and moved out of their flat with absolutely no warning.  She's always last in the queue for the good stories to report on at work, they always go to the younger, less experienced but gorgeous Alice.  She really does come across as a hopeless case but there is something about her that put me firmly in her corner, crossing my fingers for things to come good for her.

This really was an enjoyable read, I sat with my mouth open on more than one occasion muttering no, that can't be happening - the next I was grinning like a mad woman as the story went round and round like a Benny Hill sketch.  At time it was so far fetched it was hilarious. I just loved it.  Jackie has a naturally, dry sense of humour that shines through, she's created characters that evoke a reaction - I did a lot of muttering under my breathe! 

I'm so glad this is the first book in a series, I can't wait for the next time I get to meet up with Cora and be a fly on the TV newsroom wall.  Only one thing could make this book better and that would be to sit down with Jackie and get her to dish the dirt and tell me which bits are based on fact and who apart from herself did they involve.  Thank you so much for a fab read, just the sort of book to lighten and brighten up the working week.

No comments:

Post a Comment