Friday, 4 September 2015

The Girl Who Wouldn't Die - Marnie Riches

About the book...
HE’S WATCHING HER. SHE DOESN’T KNOW IT…YET

When a bomb explodes at the University of Amsterdam, aspiring criminologist Georgina McKenzie is asked by the police to help flush out the killer.

But the bomb is part of a much bigger, more sinister plot that will have the entire city quaking in fear.

And the killer has a very special part for George to play…

A thrilling race against time with a heroine you’ll be rooting for, this book will keep you up all night! 





About the author...
Marnie Riches grew up on a rough estate in Manchester. She learned her way out of the ghetto, all the way to Cambridge University, where she gained a Masters degree in German & Dutch. She has been a punk, a trainee rock star, a pretend artist, a property developer and professional fundraiser. Previously a children's author, now, she writes crime and contemporary women's fiction.

Marnie Riches is the author of The Girl Who Wouldn't Die - the first instalment of the George McKenzie crime thriller series, published by Maze and Avon at Harper Collins.


In her spare time, Marnie likes to run (more of a long distance shuffle, really) travel, drink and eat all the things (especially if combined with travel) paint portraits, sniff expensive leather shoes (what woman doesn't?) and renovate old houses. She also adores flowers

My thoughts...

I picked up this book not realising it was the first in a series, I was expecting a good thriller, I had heard so many positive comments, I knew I'd enjoy it.  All that I can say is wow - I can't tell you how glad I am that there is a second and third book to satisfy my addiction. I suffered from mixed emotions when I finished it, both relief it was over - it was such a harrowing read at times, a book I kept thinking I couldn't read another page of it was at times so traumatic, yet I was so hooked I kept turning the pages faster and faster as the plots thickened.  Then wham! Utter devastation, that I had got to the last page, I wanted more, I need more!  So rarely does a book grab me and tear my emotions in two, I'm almost frightened to read book two but at the same time I'm desperate to begin.

To say 'The Girl Who Wouldn't Die' got my blood pumping and adrenalin running would be an understatement - it literally blew me away.  It was a book that once I started reading it I literally couldn't put it down - it was at times horrific, an all consuming read that had an under story that was equally as devastating and heart breaking. A gritty read that touches on parts of life that sadly exist, not just a figment of an overactive imagination.


The story has two strands that eventually join together in a way that I didn't see coming at all.  We follow the lives of Georgina (George) McKenzie a Cambridge student studying for a year at the University of Amsterdam and Ella Williams-May a teenager, living in terror, with a mother who is mother by genes only. She doesn't seem to care for Ella, just looking for the next scam to provide money for booze.  With no father on the scene life is difficult for Ella.  They are terrorised by the local gang, that is until she joins forces with them in order to protect herself and her mother.


The Girl Who Wouldn't Die begins with an explosive start, a human bomb, blown up outside the faculty library in Amsterdam.  George dragged from her flat by fellow student Ad to witness what was happening on the street - her inquisitive nature sees herself pushing herself into the investigation, the detective in charge ending up using her as bait to try to lure out the killer. 


If you want a book that'll scare you just a little - scrap that - a lot, with twists that are gut wrenching, that will have you on the edge of your seat, heart pounding, with a plot that is deeply woven into the story, that'll drag you into a world that you'll be glad you are viewing behind the cover of a book - with characters that are so well written, more often than not having a side to them that is totally unpredictable causing you to question everything with one hand held over your mouth, eyebrows raised then this is for you.  I have to say it's so dark and gritty I was left both physically and emotionally drained, such was Marnie's skill at drawing the reader right into the heart of the action. I have no hesitation in recommending this book at all - I loved it, although it does feel slightly wrong to say that!