Thursday, 23 July 2015

Fairytale Beginnings - Holly martin

About the book...
Love is an open door…except when it keeps slamming in your face.

Hopeless romantic Milly Rose has had her fair share of heartbreak. Obsessed with all things Disney, she refuses to give up on finding her Prince Charming – he’s out there somewhere, isn’t he?

When Milly is given a job to investigate the origins of an historical building in the village of Clovers Rest, she’s not sure what to expect. What she discovers takes her breath away - a beautiful real life Cinderella castle, complete with turrets, a magnificent drawbridge AND a very handsome owner…Cameron Heartstone.

As Milly and Cameron begin to unearth the secrets of Clover Castle, they can’t ignore the intense chemistry building between them. But they’ve both been hurt badly before. Can they take a big leap of faith and find their own happily-ever-after?

About the author...
I live in sunny Bedfordshire in a house with round windows. I studied media at university which led to a very glitzy career as a hotel receptionist followed by a even more glamorous two years working in a bank. The moment that one of my colleagues received the much coveted carriage clock for fifteen years service was the moment when I knew I had to escape. I quit my job and returned to university to train to be a teacher. Three years later, I emerged wide eyed and terrified that I now had responsibility for the development of thirty young minds. I taught for four years before History Off The Page came to my school to do a Tudor day. I now drive round the country in my little white van, dressing up as a Viking one day and an Egyptian High Priestess the next. 

I love to write. The characters do exactly what I want them to do, most of the time. Sometimes they do seem to go off and do their own thing without my permission. It is complete escapism into a world where I have full control.

I've been writing for four years now, every spare second I have, I'm scribbling ideas in a notebook or typing a scene on my laptop. I have written three romantic fiction books. Changing Casanova and The Chainsaw Masquerade were recently shortlisted for the Festival of Romance New Talent Award. My short story, One Hundred Proposals, won the Belinda Jones Travel Club short story competition and was published in the Sunlounger anthology.

My thoughts...
I was given an ecopy of this book by Holly's publishers Bookouture in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give.

I've read everything Holly has written and each book has taken me on a journey - oohing and aching until the happy ever after ending; so hearing she had written a fairytale type book I was hooked before I even started.

We're introduced to Milly as she chugs into the village of Clover's Rest in her temperamental but much loved car, she's here to view Clover Castle on behalf of the Castle Heritage the company she works for. The company who Cameron - owner of Clover Castle has approached for financial support to help towards the running and upkeep of his much loved, but money draining inheritance.

It really was love at first sight - that was, firstly between Milly and the Fairytale Castle - perfect in every way but not exactly what she considers heritage upon her first sighting.  Then sparks fly between Milly and the enigmatic Cameron - an attraction they both tried to ignore, but not too hard I have to say.  

Holly has created a magical book that is so far fetched it could only be a fairytale.  It has  a Fairy Castle, potential royal connections, love at first sight, both good and evil characters, magical moments, treasure, curses, enchantments and a promise of a happy ever after.

Holly doesn't think Clover Castle fits the criteria of Castle Heritage but is determined to find a way to help Cameron save his home. She and Cameron team up, helped by the resident ghost to uncover and disclose the mysteries and stories that surround the castle, hoping against hope to find a hidden treasure and preserve the castle.

Milly and Cameron are up against old wives tales, witchcraft and the positively weird, alongside sabotage and jealousy but as in all good fairytales - good will overcome bad and Holly sprinkled the pages with magical fairy dust, lifting the story time and time again.

Fairytale Beginnings was a perfect piece of escapism, a story that will get under your skin transporting you back to your childhood dreams.  To a time when dreams of finding your own prince charming to whisk you off on a white charger to a pretty castle on the hill was commonplace.

Thank you Holly for letting me re-live my dreams :) x


No comments:

Post a Comment