Sunday, 29 March 2015

#CherryPieIsland - Jenny Oliver

About the books...
Welcome to the brand new Cherry Pie Island series from Jenny Oliver!

Home, Sweet Home….?

When Annie White steps back onto Cherry Pie Island, it’s safe to say her newly inherited Dandelion Café has seen better days! And while her childhood home on the Thames-side island idyll is exactly the same retreat from the urban bustle of London she remembers, Annie’s not convinced that Owner of The Dandelion Cafe is a title she’ll be keeping for long. Not that she can bear the idea of letting her dedicated, if endearingly disorganised staff lose their jobs. Plus café life does also have the added bonus of working a stone’s throw away from millionaire Matt and his disarmingly charming smile!

One (shoestring budget) café makeover, a few delightful additions to the somewhat retro menu and a lot of cherry pie tastings later, The Dandelion Café is ready for its grand reopening! But once she’s brought the dilapidated old café back to life, Annie finds herself wishing her stay on the island was just a bit longer. She always intended to go back to the big city…but could island living finally have lured her back home for good?

The Grand Reopening of Dandelion Café is Book 1 in The Cherry Pie Island series. Each part of Cherry Pie Island can be read and enjoyed as a standalone story – or as part of the utterly delightful series

Perfect for fans of Lucy Diamond, Sophie Kinsella and Cathy Bramley


THE GRAND REOPENING OF THE DANDELION CAFÉ is available now.



About the author...
Jenny Oliver wrote her first book on holiday when she was ten years old. Illustrated with cut-out supermodels from her sister’s Vogue, it was an epic, sweeping love story not so loosely based on Dynasty. 
Since then Jenny has gone on to get an English degree, a Masters, and a job in publishing that’s taught her what it takes to write a novel (without the help of the supermodels). She wrote The Parisian Christmas Bake Off on the beach in a sea-soaked, sand-covered notebook. This time the inspiration was her addiction to macaroons, the belief she can cook them and an all-consuming love of Christmas. When the decorations go up in October, that’s fine with her! Follow her on Twitter @JenOliverBooks

An Interview with Jenny Oliver...
Welcome to Crooks on Books Jenny.

Thanks for having me, Dawn!
  • Tell us a little bit about yourself?
My favourite things are probably Pilates, chocolate croissants, car boot sales and holidays! 
  • How and why did you get into writing?
I’ve really loved writing since I was little. I thought the first book (using the term very loosely) I ever wrote was when I was ten - it was a romance and followed four different characters and I illustrated it with pictures from a magazine. But when we were having a clear out the other day I found my real first book! It’s called Diddlypom and the Red Scarf and features a detective who likes to pause and have a cup of tea a lot! I must have been six or seven when I wrote (and illustrated) it and I’d cut all the pages down to the right size and stapled them together. When I told my parents I’d found it they both looked at me wistfully, they were great fans of Diddlypom. Maybe I’ll resurrect her… 
  • If you weren’t a writer what would your dream job be?
I always thought it would be amazing to be a cricket umpire. I don’t play cricket but I get jealous when I see them on a village green in the sunshine and there are tables of tea and cake ready for afters. It all looks so mellow and civilised. 
  • Describe a typical day in the life of Jenny Oliver the author.
If I’m in the middle of a book it’s basically get up and just start writing. It’s exciting to be back in the world. If it’s the start of a book then it’s probably watch a bit of TV, put the washing on, think about what to have for dinner… anything that involves procrastination. 
  • Do you read and write in the same genre?
Yes, but I tend to try and read a different genre every time I start reading a new book. So, for example, I’ll go from funny contemporary women’s fiction to a psychological thriller to an R&J bookclub read. 
  • Tell us a little bit about about your forth coming books -  The Cherry Pie Island series.
It’s really fun! All set on Cherry Pie Island - which is this lovely, quirky idyll just off the River Thames - we follow a cast of cool, interesting characters through the four novellas but also each book has its own heroine with her own personal journey and maybe a bit of romance ;)
  • Your books, really are delicious, I could get fat just reading them - are you a good baker/cook or ‘do you just write a good story’?
A bit of both! I love to cook but I’m probably better in my head than I am in reality - hence why I write about it. I do definitely love to eat though! I find it hard to walk away from a cafe with a good Victoria sponge. 
  • Do you bake and try out all the delicious recipes in your books to give realism to the novels?
I tend to use recipes that I have baked in the past - or that someone in my family has baked and I’ve sampled!
  • Is there a message for your readers in your book and what do you hope they take from them?
My hope is that they laugh and also have a moment where they are touched emotionally. I would like people to feel that the books give them a chance to escape into another world for however much time they have to read.
  • Describe the feeling when you held your first finished novel in your hands.
It was just really lovely! Exactly as you’d imagine. And completely bizarre. I made us all go to Sainsbury’s and just stared at the shelf. I think people thought I was very odd.  
  • Do all of your friends now expect free copies of your book and was having a novel published a bit like winning the lottery all your friends and acquaintances suddenly wanting to become your best friend?
I tend to just give my friends the free novels - thrust them into their hands as they walk through the door whether they want one or not ;-)
  • What can we expect from you in the future?
Well, there’s three more Cherry Pie novellas still to come and I always love a Christmas book so I’m trying to think Christmas at the moment which is always a treat. 

Now for a little bit of fun, a glimpse at 
the real Jenny Oliver:-

What’s your favourite tipple? 
Chilled white wine. Or, strangely enough, a Campari
Do you prefer savoury or sweet things? 
Sweet! Always sweet. 
Friends coming round  - cook or get a take-away? 
Cook
Do you prefer hot or cold climates? 
Hot. I love the sun.
Do you prefer a beach holiday or city break? 
Beach. Nothing beats swimming in the sea. 
Which would you prefer luxury cruise or fly long haul first class? 
First class long haul. I’d like one of those seats that reclines into a bed. 
Do you prefer to go to the cinema or theatre? 
Cinema. 
Which do you prefer comedy or true stories when watching a film? 
Comedy.
Do you have any pets? 
No because our landlord won’t let us! I’d have a cat if I could. 
Tell us something we don’t know about you? 
When I was eighteen I rowed in the Junior World Championships. 

Thanks for visiting my blog Jenny :)

If your appetite is whetted, please enter the giveaway below for your chance to win Book 1 in the #CherryPieIsland series, kindly donated with grateful thanks by Sara at UK Carina.