Tuesday, 30 December 2014

How I Wonder What You Are - Jane Lovering

About the book...
“Maybe he wasn’t here because of the lights – maybe they were here because of him …”
It’s been over eighteen months since Molly Gilchrist has had a man (as her best friend, Caro, is so fond of reminding her) so when she as good as stumbles upon one on the moors one bitterly cold morning, it seems like the Universe is having a laugh at her expense.
But Phinn Baxter (that’s Doctor Phinneas Baxter) is no common drunkard, as Molly is soon to discover; with a PhD in astrophysics and a tortured past that is a match for Molly’s own disastrous love life.
Finding mysterious men on the moors isn’t the weirdest thing Molly has to contend with, however. There’s also those strange lights she keeps seeing in the sky. The ones she’s only started seeing since meeting Phinn …



Buying Links:
Amazon UK: http://goo.gl/SU59KS 

Guest Post...
How I Wonder What You Are begins with our heroine, Molly, riding her horse Stan over the North York Moors, where she encounters the naked and unconscious Phinn Baxter. The first part of this is based on personal experience, the second part is not … maybe sadly, maybe not, I don’t know, given how curmudgeonly Phinn is after Molly has rescued him. But I have spent quite a lot of time riding over the moors in all weathers.  In fact…I just might have managed to set off my own ghost story on one occasion – draw close around the fire and gather your loved ones to you, while I tell my spooky tale…
It was a foggy morning and, up on the moors the fogs can be so thick that not only can you not see your hand in front of your face, you can’t even be sure which way your face is facing. I was riding my pony Jack, up on the high moors where you really only get sheep, dedicated walkers and lost people, along one of the old sandy tracks that run over the moors.  Cantering along through the fog, singing (me, not the horse), when I heard voices.  Not wanting to hurtle my way through a family picnic (unlikely, given the fog, but you never know, tourists can be funny things), I pulled back to a walk and Jack and I carried on our way, to hear somewhere off to our left a puzzled discussion about having heard the sound of an approaching horse, that vanished.  The track being sandy, they’d heard the jingle and creak and thump of us cantering, but now we were walking Jack’s hooves were muffled and we weren’t making much noise.  The fog was so thick that they were probably only a few yards off the track, but they couldn’t see us.
I know I should have said something, maybe called out a ‘good morning’ but I more sort of … didn’t.  We just rode on past and back down into the valley.  Silently. So, somewhere, there’s a group of people who just might believe that they heard the ghost of a Bronze Age warrior galloping towards them over the moors.  When really it was a very Twenty First Century me on a scruffy pony tiptoeing past them in the fog.
About the author...
Jane was born in Devon and now lives in Yorkshire. She has five children, four cats and two dogs! She works in a local school and also teaches creative writing. Jane is a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and has a first class honours degree in creative writing.
Jane writes romantic comedies which are often described  as ‘quirky’.
Her debut Please Don’t Stop the Music won the 2012 Romantic Novel of the Year and the Best Romantic Comedy Novel award from the Romantic Novelists’ Association.