Monday, 29 December 2014

Cross Stitch - Amanda James

It gives me great pleasure to welcome, once again, to my blog the lovely Amanda James who tells us why she likes writing time travel books.

About the book...

A stitch in time may save nine but a cross-stitch spells disaster …

It should be the happiest day of her life. Despite past heartache, Sarah Yates is finally marrying her true love, John Needler.

But Sarah and John can’t pretend they’re an ordinary couple. They’re time travellers and where time travel is involved, nothing runs smoothly. One minute Sarah is saying her vows and the next she is hurtled back in time to a country that is on the cusp of war, and into the company of the bad-tempered Veronica Ratchet.

Newly-wedded bliss is certainly not on the cards for Sarah as events see her travelling from the British punk era to 1950’s America. And even when she returns home she can’t escape Veronica.

But when the past and the present collide, that’s when the real problems start …

Buying links:

Amazon US:  http://goo.gl/MMHGfA
Guest post....
The best thing about writing time travel for me is that I can send my characters to experience my favourite time periods. Before I wrote full time I was a history teacher, and though I found all aspect s of history interesting, I did have my favourites. I taught The American West and Medicine Through Time at GCSE and adored both. It was fantastic to be able to re-visit those periods in A Stitch in Time. I also taught both the World Wars at Key Stage 3 and Sarah, my main character is now no stranger to the Blitz of 1940, having visited in both A Stitch in Time and my sequel, Cross Stitch.

I also taught aspects of the women’s rights, slavery, and civil rights both in Northern Ireland and the United States. It was the latter that I decided to send Sarah back to in Cross Stitch as I have always been in awe of the bravery and determination of people like Rosa Parks, the lady who refused to give up her seat to a white passenger on the bus. Though 1955 was a very dark period in Alabama’s history seeing segregation and racist organisations such as the Klu Kux Klan common place, it was also a time of great change because of people like Rosa and Martin Luther King. Sarah, though distressed at the situation in which she found herself coped admirably and saved a very important person. (In case you don’t know, Sarah is tasked with saving important people in the past on each of her jaunts back in time.)

Sarah also finds herself catapulted back to 1979 too with sometimes hilarious consequences. She has to contend with saving someone, while at the same time trying to explain the punk rock era to Veronica Ratchet, a very grumpy straight-laced schoolteacher from the past. I won’t say too much more about what happens or I will spoil the story for those who wish to read it.

Thanks so much for having me as a guest today!

About the author...

Amanda James, has written since she was a child, but has taken it up seriously in the last five years.
Amanda has written many short stories and has four novels currently published. A Stitch in Time was published in April of 2013 by http://www.choclitpublishing.co.uk and has met with great success.
The newest, also with Choc Lit are Somewhere Beyond the Sea and Dancing in the Rain (March 2014)
Righteous Exposure is published by Crooked Cat Publishing http://crookedcatpublishing.com/






Contact details...
Twitter - @akjames61
Facebook mandy.james.33