Thursday, 6 November 2014

One Hundred Christmas Proposals - Holly Martin

About the book...

The eagerly anticipated follow-up to One Hundred Proposals.

If you thought Harry & Suzie’s life couldn't get anymore sweepingly romantic than Harry asking her to marry him at the end of One Hundred Proposals – think again!

It’s Christmas in a snow-kissed London, and the.PerfectProposal.com have vowed to carry out one hundred proposals in December. No easy task at the best of times - made even more complicated by Harry & Suzie trying to plan their first Christmas and a visit from the dreaded in-laws. But one hundred deliciously Christmassy proposals later they find themselves asking if everything is still perfect in their own relationship….

Welcome back to the divinely warm world of One Hundred Proposals – with a sprinkling of pure, joyful, festive magic.


Have yourself a very merry Christmas indeed with Holly Martin’s Christmas novella.

About the author...
I live in sunny Bedfordshire in a house with round windows. I studied media at university which led to a very glitzy career as a hotel receptionist followed by an even more glamorous two years working in a bank. The moment that one of my colleagues received the much coveted carriage clock for fifteen years service was the moment when I knew I had to escape. I quit my job and returned to university to train to be a teacher. Three years later, I emerged wide eyed and terrified that I now had responsibility for the development of thirty young minds. I taught for four years before History Off The Page came to my school to do a Tudor day. I now drive round the country in my little white van, dressing up as a Viking one day and an Egyptian High Priestess the next.

I love to write. The characters do exactly what I want them to do, most of the time. Sometimes they do seem to go off and do their own thing without my permission. It is complete escapism into a world where I have full control.

I've been writing for four years now, every spare second I have, I'm scribbling ideas in a notebook or typing a scene on my laptop. I have written three romantic fiction books. Changing Casanova and The Chainsaw Masquerade were recently shortlisted for the Festival of Romance New Talent Award. My short story, One Hundred Proposals, won the Belinda Jones Travel Club short story competition and was published in the Sunlounger anthology.

My thoughts...
I was given an ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give. When I found out Holly was writing a second part to 100 Proposals I literally couldn't wait.  That book was exceptional, deeply moving yet uplifting and funny at the same time.

It was lovely to meet back up with Harry and Suzie as they helped  to orchestrate 100 Christmas Proposals for their ever increasing, marriage proposal business.  To say that business has literally taken off since the summer would be an understatement to say the least and there's not much time for R & R.

Both Harry and Suzie adore each other, their relationship is electric and very tactile - the energy fizzes off the page. This book gives an insight into their relationship with their family and friends and demonstrates the pressures on a couple that are both perceived and real. The status quo is rocked at times as it's not possible to live in a two person bubble all the time - other people influence and impact upon their lives and not always in a good way.

Despite the obvious love and attraction shared by Harry and Suzie this books sees a few cracks in their relationship appearing.  Harry is acting strangely, Suzie's widowed sister in law, Jules and boyfriend Badger are acting strangely and to top it all her parents fly in from Australia - to say her mother is a difficult person would be an understatement.  Suzie becomes increasingly baffled by everyone's behaviour but in particular with Harry.  It's obvious he has a secret and isn't always telling the truth but the opportunity to dig and out the truth never seems to arrive.

But, Holly is a very talented writer and knows what her readers want.  Every time the story looked like it was going to fall apart for one reason or another she lifted my spirits by describing another one of the beautiful proposals arranged by Harry & Suzie for their clients or she just put Harry & Suzie in the same room - that instantly raised the temperature!


This book made me smile and laugh out loud, cry and feel emotional all of it at the right time.  It's not just a simple love story but a story of true love, life, happiness and friendships built on trust and loyalty.  Add to that Christmas and a liberal helping of snow and you've fort what was a truly magical book that I was sorry to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment