Monday, 13 October 2014

Perfect Girl - Michelle Gorman

About the book...
Cinderella meets Falling Down in this wickedly funny tale about having it all

Carol is perfect… at least that’s what everyone thinks. In reality she’s sinking fast – her family treats her like their personal assistant and her boyfriend is so busy with work that he’s got her single-handedly running their relationship. Not that her job is any easier. As the only woman on the bank’s trading floor she spends twelve-hour days trying not to get sworn at or felt up by colleagues who put the "W" in banker.

How long can she go on pleasing everyone else before she snaps and loses it all?

With humour and empathy, Perfect Girl lays bare the balancing act that working women face in a man's world


Amazon US: http://amzn.to/YdCAuW / Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/WfGNN4

About the author...
I write romantic comedy, including SINGLE IN THE CITY (the first in The Expat Diaries series) and BELLA SUMMER TAKES A CHANCE. Born and raised in the US, I lost my heart to London 16 years ago, where I've lived ever since. I've also turned my hand to upmarket commercial fiction under the pen name Jamie Scott. 


I spend way too much time on twitter and Facebook when I should be writing, so please come say hello there.


I'm @expatdiaries on twitter, and we can connect on facebook through https://www.facebook.com/MicheleGorma...

My thoughts...
I received an ecopy of this book from Notting Hill Press in exchange for an honest review which I am more than happy to give.

The cover should really have given the game way  - 'girl on a tight rope, juggling balls'.  That pretty much sums up Carol's life.  She has so many balls in the air at any one time it was heart stopping reading when I actually thought about it.


The main character Carol was working in a male dominated job and quite clearly being took for granted by everyone close to her. Her boyfriend, sister and family have no real concept of how busy her own life is and expect her to drop everything to pick up the pieces of their lives on a whim. She literally is at their beck and call.


This book has a bit of everything - a huge helping of reality, lots of humour and some romance.  I defy anyone not to relate to Carol in some way - either because we are like her in some way or we know someone like her. She's a salt of the earth character who finds it difficult to say no.  Every time somebody takes her for granted or expects her to drop everything to do something for them a little bit of her soul is chipped away until something has to give.  Sink or swim were the only options - it was obvious to me Carol would be a swimmer but wasn't quite sure what would push her to fight back.


The fact that Carol comes across as weak was clearly not in sink with the important job she held as an analyst for a bank.  The pluck and fight she must have gone through to get the job is what I kept looking for whenever she was put upon by her family. It had to come through at some point and Carol gets support in unexpected places when she needs it most.


Her family, including her surrogate sister Zoe, a student lodger her mother had kind of adopted, provide hilarious situations and one liners that had me laughing out loud. I couldn't help but like them despite the fact they were often the ones at the root of Carol's problems. Not to mention the elusive boyfriend or the stick she got at work.


I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a lovely read which I read almost in one sitting - yes Carol frustrated me at times.  I wanted to give her a shake and tell her to stand up for herself but I was hooked in by all the drama - the book has some hilarious and ridiculous moments that had me laughing out loud. I shall look forward to the next offering from Michelle with impatience.


No comments:

Post a Comment