Sunday, 6 July 2014

Love, Lies & Lemon Cake - Sue Watson

About the book...
Fun, heartbreaking and absolutely hilarious...
Faye Dobson has lost her sparkle. Living on film star fantasies and vague memories of a marriage that once was, she can’t help feeling that life is passing her by.
She dreams of being whisked to Paris for dinner, making three wishes at the Trevi fountain and having sex under the stars. But the wrinkles are multiplying, her husband’s passion is for plumbing, and the nearest she’ll get to Rome is a take-away pizza.
So when Faye meets Dan the gorgeous Australian surfer guy working in the local deli she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to see the world. He is blonde, tanned, ten years younger and bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Unlike her husband Dan actually listens to Faye, his smile makes her feel fizzy inside, and when he smiles... Oh. My. God.
But is Faye being silly? What would Dan see in someone like her? Even if he did have feelings for her, could she give everything up to be with him?
A laugh-out-loud funny, bittersweet romantic comedy about taking your life back before it’s too late.
Never let go of your dreams. Or your cake.
Love Lies and Lemon Cake takes a witty yet heartfelt look at one woman's efforts to live life to the fullest. Covering everything from Ryan Gosling fantasies to vajazzling, lemon cake recipes to hair colouring mishaps, Sue Watson's trademark humour makes this a must read for chick lit and women's fiction fans.

BUY NOW - Love, Lies & Lemon Cake:-

About the author...

Sue Watson was a TV Producer with the BBC who combined motherhood and family life with a busy career. However, one day it dawned on Sue that Cosmo magazine may have been telling porkies about 'having it all,' and her life had become a slightly crazed juggling act. 



So after much soul searching (and comfort eating) Sue abandoned her TV career, bought a pink laptop and wrote a novel. 'Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes,' tells the story of Stella Weston, whose life is a constant struggle with a nasty boss at work, the weighing scales and being a mum, wife and daughter. 

Originally from Manchester, Sue now lives with her husband and teenage daughter in Worcestershire. When she's not toiling over her latest novel, Sue bakes (and eats) cake and enjoys very large tubs of Caramel Chew Chew ice cream all to herself while watching 'The Biggest Loser USA.' 

Sue Watson on Twitter / Sue Watson on Facebook


My thoughts...
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by Kim at Bookouture which I'm more than happy to do.

What a book, where do I start? With the cover, it's so bright, vibrant and zingy - begging to be taken off the shelf and read.  I'm so glad I did.

Faye a forty something, married, mother of one, now grown - up child, realises her life hasn't panned out the way she planned when she re-discovers a back pack and postcard stuffed into the back of her wardrobe. They stir up memories of all the things she was going to do with her life, making her take stock, evaluate her life and contemplate her future. 

This book was a laugh out loud read, there were times when the tears were tripping me up I laughed that much - my work colleagues thought I'd gone mad one lunchtime when once I'd started I couldn't stop. It also has its tender moments too, it isn't all hearts and flowers and it is most definitely a book that has made me reflect and contemplate. Sue has not only created strong, lead characters but also necessary, believable, supporting characters that add depth to the story and prop up Faye and the heavenly Dan perfectly.  There are so many scenes that I thought OMG yes, I've been there, or know someone who's been in the same situation it felt like I was reading about friends.

It was a divine piece of inspiration sending Faye into the deli - it was at that point I really felt I got to know, understand and love her.  The clumsy way she became mush around Dan, the gorgeous, blonde, adonis from Australia was  so endearing - she really had no idea! The delectable descriptions of all the food and cakes had me drooling, I could have been eating the lunches from the deli, the descriptions were so vivid and mouth watering, It highlighted how bland and uninteresting my daily ham salad is - who wouldn't swap that for feta, black olive and oozing, sun dried tomatoes on foccachia - mmmmm heavenly.

Faye had spent so long blending into the background being a dutiful wife and mother she had lost sight of her dreams and was invisible even to herself. She couldn't read the signs coming from Dan, he could have tattooed them on his head and she'd still have been blind.  This chance encounter turned into more than just a light hearted romance.  Dan opened her eyes to life, made her senses come alive with his laid back attitude to life, yet at the same time  gave so much.

Faye begins to reflect on a list she made when she was at uni of all the things she planned to do with her life and with Dan's help starts to fulfil a few of them, inevitably more get added as she goes along. I couldn't help but think - what would be on my list?  I've done some of the things on Faye's list and share a couple of still to do things too. Sue has got me thinking and I'm going to sit down and write a proper list.  I know some things will be achievable and others perhaps not but you've got to dream and who knows - never say never :)

This book so highlights life is for living. We shouldn't forget about our dreams.  21st century life is all about jobs, paying the mortgage, worrying about the kids, pets and what to have for dinner.  I've lost count of the times I've said no I can't do that because...... This book will definitely get you thinking, 'hang on, I'm saying no because what exactly??'

If you are looking for a book that will get inside your mind, but in a good way. That will make you think, get you off the sofa and living, then this is for you. I so want to hug Sue and say thank you for such a lovely read that has got definitely got the cogs whirring.

I gave this book 5/5 stars