Sunday, 13 July 2014

Ivy Lane: Summer: Part 2 - Cathy Bramley

About the book...


Tilly Parker is feeling happier than she has done since her life completely changed a year ago, though she's still keeping some secrets to herself. As she flourishes under the summer sun, she attracts the attention of not one, but two suitors. Excitement reaches fever pitch at Ivy Lane as a TV crew descends to capture life inside a modern-day allotment, bringing out the best (new wellies and lipstick) and the worst (parsnip rivalry) in them all. The Annual Show marks the end of summer and the end of filming, but is Tilly ready for romance - and if so, who will be the pick of the bunch










About the author...

After four years of flinging herself round the dance floors of Nottingham's nightspots, Cathy somehow managed to get an honours degree in business.

She then plunged herself into the corporate world of marketing, working on high-powered projects such as testing the firing range of SuperSoaker water guns and perfecting the weeing action of Tiny Tears. After making it onto Timmy Mallet's Christmas card list, she realised it was time to move on and so in 1995 set up her own marketing agency.

She now lives in an idyllic Nottinghamshire village with her husband, two daughters and a dog called Pearl.

Random Facts about Cathy Bramley

Lucky charm: pottery frog out of a Christmas cracker
Favourite tipple: Polish cherry vodka
Best ever Christmas present: Potter's Wheel (toy version)
Hates the expression: Compliments to the chef

You can get in touch with Cathy via her website www.CathyBramleyAuthor.com 
or her Facebook page Facebook.com/CathyBramleyAuthor

My thoughts...

April seems so long ago.  That's when I read Ivy Lane, spring   This was the first instalment in the four part series revolving around Tilly Parker set against a backdrop of an allotment .  I've got a huge backlist of books TBR and a firm plan in place for reading so I catch up. But, as soon as this book became available I had to have it and snook it in ahead of time.  Convincing myself it's only a short story, it won't set me back much.  I so wish I hadn't I feel even worse now!  I so wished I'd hung on and dragged it out before reading as three months is going to drag before I can get my hands on part 3: autumn  I was away at the weekend and if I hadn't been I would have been seriously tempted to head to Nottinghamshire and smoke out Cathy so I could bribe her with wine and chocolate.

Tilly Parker has certainly kept her cards close to her chest as to her reasons for turning up in Ivy Lane, twelve months ago but this instalment sees her opening up a little and seriously having her head turned romantically, not by one but two suitors. I loved the way her whole demeanour altered when she arrived at the allotment, totally relaxing and losing herself in the job at hand - her beautiful nature shining through time and time again when she gives time to others, putting their needs and feelings to the forefront of everything she does.

Ivy Lane, summer sees the allotment owners gearing up for a TV crews arrival. They were to film a new television programme set at the allotments.  It was also time for the annual  produce competition.  Needless to say there was lots of primping and pruning done and not just to the allotments. I laughed and smiled so much reading all the antics, loving all the characters and their little ways both subtle and in your face.

It was great to be a voyeur, watching the antics unfold - there are those that love the limelight and those that like to blend into the background. Secrets, jealousies and love share equal space on the page and I oohed and ahed whilst Tilly found feelings surfacing that she'd kept battened down for so long.  Her relationship with Gemma is another big favourite of mine, she makes me laugh, smile and groan in equal measures - although I'm beginning to think that Gemma is wearing her extrovert character as a mask.  There seems to be lots of sub-stories that Cathy threw out, reeling me in and has then left me dangling.  But none more so than the end of the book!  How could you do that, knowing I can't read what happens until September? Such a twist - totally unexpected!!

I urge you all to go out and buy Ivy Lane, once you read part 1 you'll be hooked, line and sinker.

I gave this book 5/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dawn! What a lovely review and your tweets on Saturday about your plans to bribe me did make me laugh! Good news though - the gap between the publication of Ivy Lane Summer and Autumn is only two months this time. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the story and even more so because I know you used to have an allotment.
    Cathy xxx

    ReplyDelete