Monday, 7 July 2014

Fallen for Rock - Nicky Wells

Make sure you read to the end - there's a guest post, author interview with Nicky & my review of 
Fallen for Rock

About the book...
‘A thrilling and delicious story of love and self-discovery woven around a broken romance that will make you turn page after page and cheer to the end.’

Love, life, loyalties. Nothing stays the same when Emily gets drawn into the world of rock.

Glossy and sophisticated professional high-flyer Emily has no time for nonsense such as the rock music her ex-boyfriend Nate adored so much. Yet when she unexpectedly comes into possession of VIP tickets—access all areas—for new rock band phenomenon, MonX, she can’t resist the temptation. 

The fateful gig turns into more than one night, and Emily finds herself strangely drawn to this new and unfamiliar glittery world. However, only weeks later, MonX and her own universe fall apart with devastating consequences for all. When MonX lead singer Mike appeals for her help, she reluctantly embraces a new opportunity. But she soon discovers that while she may be a rock chick after all, a groupie she is not… Or is she?

Just exactly where do her loyalties lie? And what direction will her life take now that she’s left behind everything she treasured?

Warning! Fallen For Rock contains some explicit content and strong language that may not be suitable for readers under eighteen years of age.



Fallen for Rock is now available in e-book and paperback editions! Hooray! Get your copy here:


Pssst… obviously, Fallen for Rock is also available on all other Amazon sites!!

About the author...

Romance that Rocks Your World!

Ultimate rock chick author Nicky Wells writes romance with rock stars—because there’s no better romantic hero than a golden-voiced bad boy with a secret soft heart and a magical stage presence!

Nicky’s books offer glitzy, glamorous romance with rock stars—imagine Bridget Jones ROCKS Notting Hill! If you’ve ever had a crush on any kind of celebrity, you’ll connect with Nicky’s heroes and their leading ladies.

Born in Germany, Nicky moved to the United Kingdom in 1993 and currently lives in Lincoln with her husband and their two boys. Nicky loves listening to rock music, dancing, and eating lobsters. When she’s not writing, she’s a wife, mother, occasional knitter, and regular contributor at Siren 107.3 FM with her own monthly show. Rock on!

Did you know? There’s a single out now by Nicky’s fictional rock band Tuscq come to life! “Love Me Better” is available for download from Amazon, iTunes and many other places. 

Guest post...
Ten things you didn’t know about the rock star life — by Mike Loud
  • You’re never alone. Ever. Not even on the toilet. Once you make it big, there’s always someone lurking somewhere, quite possibly with a camera.

  • Rock stars work the most unsociable hours imaginable. When we’re recording, we’ll quite often start at two or three pm and then work through until four or five in the morning. No kidding. It’s intense!

  • Temptation is everywhere, in every sense of the word, in every way you can imagine. The biggest temptation of all is to think you’ve made it big, and to let go of reality. I call that falling ‘off the cliff.’ Sadly, it happened to my lead guitarist, and the band was never the same.

  • Contrary to popular belief, you don’t just get free upgrades to first class by airline staff, at least not anymore. I’ve tried.

  • However, you can be certain to walk into almost any restaurant and be given a table at a moment’s notice. That’s got something to be said for it if you can’t be bothered to cook and the label is picking up the tab!

  • The rock star life is actually pretty boring when we’re not touring or recording. They call it ‘resting’ but it drives me mad. I don’t do resting. 

  • We do have to pay rent and/or mortgages. That’s why most of us live in fairly ‘normal’ places unless the millions are literally rolling in.

  • Self-doubt is an occupational hazard. Every song I write is ‘shite’ at some point. In fact, only the songs that don’t go through the ‘shite’ cycle turn out to be really crap. Sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder what my life wouldn’t have been easier if I’d stayed an architect. NOT!
  • We’re hell to live with. Ladies, if you have visions of living in blissful harmony with your resident rock star idol, think again. We’re notoriously bad-tempered in the morning. Actually, we’re notoriously bad-tempered in the afternoon too. We hate being interrupted when we’re working. Ask Emily, she’ll tell you a story or three. We’re not proud of the fact but… we can’t help it.
  • Being a rock star is like being a vicar. You don’t decide to be a rock star. It’s a calling and a vocation and an addiction. Once you know what you’ve got to do, you’re done for and there’s no way out. Bing a rock star totally rocks. Being on stage and seeing all of you cheer and clap and sing along gives me a high like nothing else. I’m totally addicted to it and wouldn’t do anything else, ever, not even in the darkest moments of point 8 above. It’s who I am and what I do.
An Interview with Nicky Wells....

Hi Nicky welcome to my blog :)


  • Tell us a little bit about yourself.
*waves* Hi Dawn, thanks for inviting me onto your lovely blog! I’m so thrilled to be here. And thanks for letting me dive straight in, LOL. I’m not at all self-conscious about the ‘me’ talk. Not anymore! So, who am I?

*adopts serious voice* My name is Nicky Wells, and I’m addicted to rock stars. I have an incurable ‘thing’ for rock musicians. I can’t help it. They just ‘do it’ for me. Red rag to a bull is nothing like a rock star is to Nicky Wells! (My lovely husband is quite indulgent of this affliction of mine, bless him. We even had a rock band we know play at our wedding, but that’s a story for a different day.). That’s why I write the books I do. Particular faves include Jon Bon Jovi and Joey Tempest. I’ve recently discovered Myles Kennedy too! Bad boys and golden voices, tough men with long hair and soft hearts…. *swoon*

When I’m not lusting after rock stars or writing books about young women who lust after rock stars, I’m a wife, a mother of two boys, a lobster eater and pizza lover, a cook, a trained teaching assistant, an occasional knitter, and a radio presenter at Siren 107.3 FM. I’ve got my own show now, too, which is called Books Rock!, and airs at 11 am on every third Saturday. Just saying!
  • Tell us a little bit about your next novel Fallen for Rock
Great question! I won’t repeat the blurb here, so let me tell you instead about the motivation for Fallen for Rock. As you know, my first series of books focused on a girl who has an absolute and incurable crush on a rock singer. The attraction is so strong that Sophie’s driving force and motivation leap off the page from the word go.

When it came to starting on a fresh story, I was looking for a different motivation. I wanted to tell the story of someone who really couldn’t stand rock music. I wanted to look at a band through the eyes of someone who thought rock music was just a bit of noise without skill or melodious appeal. And I wanted to turn that somebody around. You know how much I love my rock music; I was thinking, ‘how would I make someone understand just how great this music is if they were utterly and completely opposed to it.’ I like a challenge, me!

As I was planning, the story shifted and changed and became something much bigger. Emily doesn’t just learn to listen to rock music, she falls for it in a major way. And as she does, she turns her entire life upside down. Intriguingly, I ended up weaving the story around a broken romance, and the object of her desire is notable for his absence! But you know me. There will be no tears at the end!!
  • If I’ve got this right you was born in Germany, you live in the UK and are signed to a US publisher - how does that all fit together?
You got that right! I was born in Essen, Germany, about 21 years ago (just kidding. I’m a little older than that!). I moved to the UK to study when I was twenty, and I kind of got hooked on the culture. To be honest, it was like coming home, although I couldn’t explain why. So I stayed, found a job, found a man, and the rest is history. Twenty years later I’m still here… (oops, now there’s a clue to my age, ha ha ha!).

As you’ve noticed, I write my books in English rather than my native German. That’s something that intrigues a lot of people, but it’s just how I function. I am a different person in the English language, I crack better jokes, and I certainly write better sex scenes than I ever could in German. I think it’s fair to say that English has overtaken German as my main language.

From there, the leap to a US publisher isn’t that hard. I initially self-published my debut novel and, when I started gaining great reviews and some steady sales, I had the confidence to reach out to publishers all over again. I stumbled across Sapphire Star Publishing on Facebook and liked what I saw, so I submitted. I had previously worked for a US company for six years, so the whole time zone and spatial difference dimension didn’t daunt me and has never proved a problem.
  • Did you always want to be a writer and if you weren’t what would your dream job be?
The quick and easy answer is that yes, I always wanted to be a writer. It sounds so incredibly cheesy that I almost daren’t admit it, but it is God’s honest truth. I submitted my first draft stories to a German publisher of children’s books at age twelve. I got the nicest rejection letter of my entire career informing me that while they published children’s books, they couldn’t publish books by children. More’s the pity because they were cracking stories and I will resurrect them one day. But I digress.

If I weren’t an author, I’d like to be a teacher. And if you ask me to go all out and reveal my innermost dreams, I’d have to confess that I would have loved to have fronted a rock band. Ha!
  • There is a rock theme throughout all your books how did this come about and could you imagine going off piste and writing without a rock theme?
I think the rock theme is probably no longer a mystery following my earlier admission about having a terminal thing for rock stars. The scene, the industry, the environment simply inspires me, and that makes my writing flow. And hopefully, the enthusiasm translates into unputdownable, unforgettable stories!

Could I write something different? Absolutely. I’ve got a suitcase full of ideas for all manner of stories, some romantic, some thrillers, a healthy dose of children’s books… If only there were more hours in the day! Right at this point in my author career, I’m trying to figure out how I would take my brand ‘off piste’, as you so intriguingly put it. Perhaps I can throw the question back at you: If I were to produce a romantic suspense that had nothing to do with rock stars, would you read it, and would you be disappointed if there wasn’t the normal glitz and glamour (but obviously a cracking story nonetheless)?
  • How much input do you have into the cover designs of your books?
For the books that Sapphire Star Published—that would be Sophie’s Turn, Sophie’s Run and Sophie’s Encore—I created the initial designs or ‘mock ups’, and the publisher’s designer breathed life into them. Thank you, Chad!

Spirits of Christmas and my current release, Fallen for Rock, are published by me. As a result, I had free reign on cover design and ended up designing both covers myself. But before you raise your hands in horror, let me add that I got myself trained on Photoshop and that I have a brilliant mentor in my designer friend, Jessie Dalrymple. I take self-publishing extremely seriously and like to be professional at every step of the way. It just so happens that I really enjoy design and could easily have envisaged a career down that route too.
  • How do you juggle all the balls as a mother, writer and I believe you have a regular radio spot too?
How do I juggle? With difficulty, LOL! I do drop balls occasionally, let me assure you. I consume tea by the galloon and eat copious amounts of chocolate to keep me going. By rights, I should be the size of a house, but as I rarely get to stand still, it would seem I run all the calories off!

To answer your question more seriously, and to perhaps inspire aspiring writers out there who may be wondering how the heck to find the time to get started, what with everything else going on… The answer is obsessive compulsive planning. I have lists for everything, book-related lists, To Do lists for the house, lists of things for school and the kids’ extra-curricular activities… and lists to remind me to look at lists. In fact, I draw up weekly plans detailing everything that needs to be achieved and carving out specific times for writing. The ‘writing time’ block may be anything from half an hour to three hours in length (rarely more) and it may be during the day or after the kids’ bedtime. The important thing is to allot the time and stick to it.

And yes, I do now have a regular radio spot too. As of now, I’m not quite sure how I’ll fit that in on a regular basis but hey, sometimes you have to learn on the hop. LOL!
  • What do you hope the reader takes from one of your novels?
A big smile, and a firm belief in a happy ever after! My books don’t often tell a straightforward story where everything fits into place easily. That would be boring, and life’s not like that either. But in the end, everything works out. It may not work out in the way the heroine had hoped, but it works out for the best—and she knows. So I guess there’s also a strong element of hope that I’d like the reader to take away.

Last but not least, I try to offer little glimpses into the rock star lifestyle. They may be fiction and not be entirely based on my own experience, but these glimpses are well researched and as true to life as I can make them!
  • Who is the most famous/your favourite rock star you’ve met?
Oh gosh, now you’re asking the money question! I had a very brief chat with Joey Tempest of Europe once whilst getting a poster autographed. Another time, I hung out for an entire evening with UK rock band, Dare. And I know the guys from FM pretty well. 

That dinner date with Jon Bon Jovi is still on my bucket list…
  • And finally, which do you prefer working in the literary or music field?
I can’t honestly answer that one. I love what I do and how it combines both. If I had my wish come true and were fronting a rock band, I’d probably still write books!

Now for a little bit of fun, a glimpse at the real Nicky Wells:-

What’s your favourite tipple? 
Non alcoholic—tea with lemon. Alcoholic—Strawberry margarita!

Do you prefer savoury or sweet things? 
Sweet in the day, savoury at night. (Now there’s a book idea!)

Friends coming round  - cook or get a take-away? 
That depends… probably cook!

Do you prefer hot or cold climates? 
Cold. I don’t do heat!

Do you prefer a beach holiday or city break?
Ah. Now, there’s a leading question. If by beach holiday you mean lying on a beach all day getting sunburn (because I don’t tan, I just burn), then it would have to be the city break. If, on the other hand, by beach holiday you mean long walks on the beach, along headlands and cliffs, taking in the occasional storm and eating lots of lovely fish meals… then beach holiday!

Which would you prefer luxury cruise or fly long haul first class? 
LUXURY CRUISE! It’s number three on my bucket list (after aforementioned dinner date)

Do you prefer to go to the cinema or theatre? 
Love both in equal measures.

Which do you prefer comedy or true stories when watching a film? 
Comedy, hands down.

Do you have any pets? 
Technically speaking I don’t, but the boys now have a guinea pig each.

Tell us something we don’t know about you?
I hate wasps. I can’t swim. I don’t drive a car. On the plus side, I donated an entire complete collection of Enid Blyton books to my local library after I left Germany, I’ll happily undertake a three-hour journey to see my best friend for a cup of tea, and I sing all the time.

Thanks for visiting my blog Nicky :)

Thanks for inviting me, Dawn! ☺ xx

My thoughts on Fallen For Rock - each word to be spoken with a capital letter!!....
Having previously read Nicky's christmas novella Spirits of Christmas I was desperate to read Fallen for Rock.  As soon as Nicky announced her blog tour I was there - me, me, me please - thank you so much for letting me be part of the tour and allowed to review such a fantastic book.

This is a book that will alter perceptions, it's about love, hopes and dreams but most of all friendship and support.  It made me smile, laugh out loud and sit with an inane grin on my face for most of the book.


Emily was a buttoned up, straight woman more conscious of work and how she should look and behave than anything else. At the start of the book, there wasn't much fun in her life  and Emily displayed an almost snooty attitude to rock, dumping her boyfriend because he didn't 'fit' in the desired mould. 


Lunch in a cafe, sharing a table with a stranger leads Emily to throw a sickie - something she had never done.  That and winning VIP tickets to see MonX a rock band are the catalyst for a transformation. Emily is having second thoughts about dumping Nate her guitar playing, rock loving ex and decides going to the concert would be the best course of action rather than wasting the tickets especially as MonX were Nate's favourite band.


One concert later, Emily is hooked and has been hooked by lead singer Mike - off on the road she goes.  There are so many visions I have of what life on a tour bus would be like and smiled and laughed to myself as the story unfolded - often mirroring my minds image.


The best part of this was watching Emily transform and grow before my eyes, supported by Mike who has got to be the kindest, gentlest man ever.  Oh my - what a heart on legs! He genuinely grew to care about straight talking Emily, she wasn't the usual kind of groupie - her straight talking and honesty winning him over and he was a pussycat in disguise, a gentle man hiding behind the public 'rockstar' persona.


Their relationship was pure lush to read. They were ying and yang to each other, bolstering the others character in equal measures. This book was a dream to read, who doesn't love a rock star? I was so sorry to see it end, Emily and Mike have got to be two of the nicest 'book friends' I've met in a long time.


It just goes to show that sometimes it's good to break with convention, to let your hair down, to literally do a double fist drop and KERCHING who knows what life will throw at you if you open your mind and allow it.  


I'm now off to enter a few competitions for VIP, access all areas tickets on Rock FM.


I gave this book 5/5 ROCK STARS

9 comments:

  1. Good morning, Dawn! I feel like a celebrity!! Thanks so much for hosting me here today with a guest post, giveaway *and* interview. *takes a bow* It's an honour to be here. I hope your readers enjoy meeting me, and here's wishing good luck to all giveaway entrants.

    See you later! And back tomorrow, too... Awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the interview. I don't really have any rock star crushes - but could easily fall for Professor Brian Cox an ex pop star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yum, he's gorgeous! You don't have to have a rock star crush to enjoy the book--you could just as easily imagine Brian in the role of Mike (the rock star) and you'd get the buzz. It's all about the people and the glamour and the life!

      Thanks for stopping by and best of luck if you've entered the giveaway. Don't forget to pop back tomorrow to check out what Dawn thought of the book... :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your blog Dawn and thank you for this great competition. Nicky's books look really enjoyable :-) I know he isn't a 'Rock' star but my crush is Enrique Iglesias, every time!
    Thank you Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Oooh now Enrique, he does have a nice voice!! I can see how you'd get a crush on Enrique! Thanks for entering the competition, and come back tomorrow--if you can-- to see what Dawn thought of the actual book... I'm on tenterhooks myself here! LOL! X

      Delete
  4. Five out of five rock stars... Dawn, wow! Thank you! So happy you loved this book and enjoyed Emily's transformation! What a fab start to the day, thanks for sharing your thoughts! XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've added this book to my reading list. I know that I will really enjoy it! A great review Dawn :-) Thank you. And thanks to Nicky too for writing it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, how cool that you could pop back to check out Dawn's review! I'm delighted that Fallen for Rock is on my TBR, and I'd love to hear from you what you think when you've finished it! *takes a bow* My pleasure for writing it--rock music is my passion, and I love pouring that into the pages! X

      Delete
  6. Hey - lovely Rocky friends - so glad that Fallen for Rock is wooing the hearts of my blog followers - role on xmas - 'taps fingers impatiently' :) xx

    ReplyDelete