Friday, 21 February 2014

Storm in a B Cup - Lindy Dale

About the book...
“It’s my funeral. If I want you to play Bon Jovi as they wheel my body away to be cremated you’ll do it.”
The horrified look on Brendan's face says he'll do anything but. “People will laugh.”
“I want them to. I want a funeral where everyone stands around and remembers the funny things I did, and then they get really pissed."

Sophie Molloy has Breast Cancer. She didn’t think it was cancer to begin with, she thought it was another cyst. She also didn’t think it would be the catalyst for a series of life changing events, none of which involved chemotherapy. Within months of her diagnosis, Sophie loses not only her right breast but her boyfriend of three years, her house and her best friend. Her life spirals from great to bad, then ugly. Nothing can make it better, not even the crazy care packages her mother keeps sending from Melbourne.

To make matters worse, Sophie fears she’s developing a crush on the plastic surgeon that will be reconstructing her breast. Dr. Hanson has the bedside manner of an angel and the looks to match. He’s so caring and compassionate, Sophie begins to believe he cares about her in a most non-doctor-patient kind of way. But he doesn’t, of course. He’s merely her doctor. Or does he?

A fictional tale, based on the author's medical journey with the disease, Storm in a B Cup is a warm-hearted glimpse into the world of a Breast Cancer sufferer that will have you laughing out loud. 

About the author...
Lindy lives on acreage in country Western Australia where she spends her days teaching, writing, walking and looking after orphan lambs. (See Daisy Darling)
She’s a hopeless U2 and Bon Jovi fan - as judged by her collection of tour t-shirts. She’s also rugby union fanatic, coffee and champagne lover, chocoholic, over-exaggerator, trashy TV, music and iPhone addict.
Lindy has been writing in the genre of Chick Lit & Women's Fiction for the past ten years but has also tried her hand at a paranormal romance in the book, Angel’s Bend. Chick Lit remains her main love.


My Thoughts...
I loved the cover and the title was intriguing - so I read the synopsis, chatted on twitter with Lindy the author and liked what I heard so signed myself up to be part of the blog tour.

It was a difficult decision as a close family member of mine died from breast cancer and a friend is now recovering. I did wonder how it would be possible to encompass the very serious subject matter into a light-hearted, chick-lit novel but Lindy did it with panache.

Lindy took us on a journey with Sophie with her family and friends as she faces cancer and her subsequent treatment. It was at times heart wrenching and at other times  hysterical. Her characterisations of Lani a friend and that of her mother and her mothers partner had me guffawing out loud.  It's fair to say I laughed and cried in equal portions throughout this book.  She allowed us to glimpse a world that we all secretly hope never to have to visit. But, she did it in such a way that demonstrated the power of humour, family and friendship.  We don't really know how we, or those around us will cope in a crisis until we're actually faced with it.

Unsurprisingly, Brendan Sophie's partner - an OCD, control freak doesn't cope at all and loses the plot big time whilst the other man in her life Rory her six year old son becomes her rock - mature beyond his years. I loved him so much I could have hugged and squeezed him very other page. It's this characterisation that had me blabbing like an idiot in Costa Coffee one morning before work - not a good look I can tell you.

I don't know how much of this novel is based on Lindy's own experiences but one thing is clear - she took the subject head on and told it in such a way that it was a really positive, uplifting book. If you have friends, humour, love and chocolate anything is possible.

I would highly recommend this book to every woman I know.  Lindy confronted a scary subject head on.  One that we shouldn't avoid and she managed this in a light hearted way with sensitivity yet still managing to get across that it's not just the person with Cancer that has to learn how to cope but everyone around them. 

On a lighter note - I'm going to a quiz on Saturday night and hope none of my friends gets an attack of projectile vomiting - what timing!  A sign of a truly brilliant book when you can  shake with laughter and tears in equal measures.

I for one will be seeking more from Lindy Dale -  so a big thank you.

2 comments:

  1. It was all my pleasure, thanks for having me on the tour Samantha :-) x

    ReplyDelete